PLEASE USE OUR A-Z INDEX TO NAVIGATE THIS SITE
JENNIFER LAWRENCE - Plays Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games universe, a fictional world which serves as the setting for The Hunger Games, a trilogy of young-adult dystopian novels written by American author Suzanne Collins, and the movie series adapted from them. The series takes place in the fictional nation of Panem, which at an unspecified time in the future has replaced the nations of 21st century North America following a series of ecological disasters and a devastating war.
The Games are a televised event in which the participants, called "tributes", are forced to fight to the death in a dangerous public arena. The winning tribute and his/her home district are then rewarded with food, supplies, and riches. The purposes of the Hunger Games are to provide entertainment for the Capitol and to remind the districts of the Capitol's power and lack of remorse, forgetfulness, and forgiveness for the failed rebellion of the current competitors' ancestors.
The Hunger Games is a fictional film about a society that is starved into submission with perpetual food shortages and kept on a tight leash via armed guards and martial law, with each district providing a contestant in a game where they fight to the death. The USA is divided into 12 regions in these movies. There is no mention of any interaction between other nations or other methods to contain population growth.
Food shortages locally, could mean reduced exports and higher prices, with supermarkets shelves emptied of convenience shopping, leading to rationing in each country, eventually causing tension between countries that could spark local wars and unrest leading to national and even international unrest.
The effects of global warming are proving to be devastating in terms of food production. Arable land is reducing in area, while deserts are increasing. The response to this by most nations is a Blue Growth drive, trying to offset crop and livestock reductions with fish from smaller fisheries and aquaculture, to artificially boost protein yield for an increasing population.
A script for Hunger Games - Armageddon, could focus on real starvation in nutrition depleted geographical zones, with civil wars blazing, leading to attempts by some nations to commandeer the resources of neighbours, finally leading to an all out World War Three scenario - at which point a country that is being overrun by a technically superior nation triggers a nuclear attack for a sayonara to life as we know it on the planet.
With a vastly reduced human population the planet might enter a nuclear winter, from which it might recover to support life, but where most of the species on land that we enjoy today are gone forever.
POLITICAL BLOCKERS - In Britain in 1865, the legislative response to the increasing introduction of self-propelled vehicles on our roads was the Locomotive Act (sometimes known as the Red Flag Act). Amongst a number of provisions, it stipulated that self-propelled vehicles needed to be proceeded with a man walking 60 yards ahead carrying a red flag to warn other road users of the vehicles approach. The objective of powerful stakeholders was to hinder progress to protect their investments in horses, carriages and trains.
38 YEARS OF DENIAL - LOCOMOTIVE ACT 1865
From 1865, through 1896 through to 1903 and beyond, politicians in the UK used their positions of trust to hinder progress by passing into law the Locomotive Act of 1865, before it was repealed. That is 38 years and more of blocking technology, by the very people who should have been looking to advance technology.
The modern cars we rely on today are the product of the Collective Human Brain. We stand on the shoulders of giants and take our conveniences for granted.
If it took 38 years for our (then) leaders to recognise the advantages of the motor car, what chance have we got to halt Global Warming?
Yup, not much!
The military in every G20 country know this. They know we are headed to war, and that is why they keep spending buckets of tax dollars on submarines, nuclear missiles, fighter planes, drones and aircraft carriers.
You don't have to be a mind reader to see the signs. These are the real life Hunger Games that most ordinary citizens are unaware of.
OUR (SUGGESTED) SIX STEPS TOWARD A BETTER PLANET
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Governments aim to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Such infrastructure should exceed the performance of fossil fuel filling stations, prolong EV battery life and provide power grids with a measure of load leveling. Any such system should seek to obviate the provision of millions of fast charge points where implementation could prove to be a logistical nightmare. This may involve international agreement as to energy storage format and statute to steer car makers to collaborate in part in a world of competition.
Marine transport can be carbon neutral given the right policies, with phased transition in specific stages such as not to unduly penalize present investment in LNG shipping and other recent MARPOL compliant IC powered vessels. Future cargo vessel should be at least in part powered by renewable energy, on the road to zero carbon, making allowances for technology catchup.
Air travel powered by kerosene should attract hefty mitigation offset, where low carbon alternatives should be encouraged.
2. RENEWABLES: Renewable energy should replace carbon-based fuels (coal, oil and gas) in our electricity for homes, factories, heating and transport. Coal and nuclear power plants should be phased out.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes that are both affordable and sustainable by design to replace crumbling housing stocks. Encourage building in timber to provide carbon lock from a renewable natural resource.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need to grow more trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, air travel, and to build new homes. We should promote reductions in food waste and eating of foods that use less energy to produce. Educate children on these matters in schools and via campaigns such as no meat Mondays, should be part of ordinary study.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation. EV parking and even service facilities should be part of new industrial estates as part of any building permissions.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt rules to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, increasing spend on educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. This includes fostering policies and making funds available to close links in the technology chain to make up for lost time. Kleptocratic empire building must cease in the search for natural equilibrium.
SUSTAINABILITY BEGINS AT HOME
What happens on your doorstep is what is happening all over the world. Everyone is empire building, over fishing and dumping waste in our oceans in the belief that a little bit more indulgence won't matter. Yes it will !
LINKS & REFERENCE
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service. copyright © Cleaner Oceans Foundation Ltd (COFL) (Company No: 4674774) 2020. Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom. COFL is a company without share capital.